Reports to: Service Manager
The Project Technician is responsible for the engineering and technical execution of projects for PCM clients. The Project Technician will plan projects, coordinate project reviews, and ensure the proper implementation of all technical aspects of projects.
In addition to strong technical aptitude, backed by at least 5 years of in the trenches experience, this person is a good communicator and a person who can manage well when the client needs guidance. This person should be prompt and/or know the importance of communicating ETAs to clients. This person should then be able to execute with a high degree of success in integrating and/or solving problems in environments with Microsoft Server, Exchange, SQL, IIS, VPNs, firewalls, backups, Linux, UNIX and more.
Position Responsibilities include:
- Develop a scope of work for major infrastructure changes, such as server migrations, email migrations, network equipment upgrades with the input from both the Primary Technician and the client.
- Be available for pre-sales discussions and meetings with the client and Account Manager
- Configure hardware/software for projects and work projects according to the established plan.
- Advise client of timeline and impact from changes.
- Respond to client requests resulting from project tasks.
- Give guidance to other technicians as they work on assigned tasks.
- Document and communicate progress on each project with both the client and Project Manager.
- Escalate issues as necessary to Project Manager.
- Document infrastructure changes resulting from projects.
- Hand off responsibility of new project infrastructure to service team when project is completed.
- Meet scorecard goals as assigned for budget adherence, billable utilization, CSAT
- Occasionally required to work outside normal office hours to accommodate requests to avoid downtime
- Work through a daily schedule in ConnectWise Manage that has been established through the dispatch process.
- Enter all work as tickets in ConnectWise Manage.
- Review IT publications and online materials to remain up to date with current and future technologies emerging in the industry.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced Knowledge of Firewall Technologies
- Advanced Knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server
- Advanced Knowledge of Wireless Technologies
- Solid understanding of and ability to configure TCP/IP subnetting and troubleshooting Internet connectivity
- Experience and understanding of VPN & Remote Desktop Services
- Understanding of the relationship between switches, hubs, patch panels and connecting nodes to a network
- Understanding of networking services such as DNS, DHCP and VLANs
- Understanding of High Availability / Load Balancing solutions
- Ability to communicate with clients at all levels from IT personnel to CxO’s and to understand business issues in the context of IT issues
- Ability to work in a team and communicate effectively.
- Interpersonal skills: such as telephony skills, communication skills, active listening, and client-care.
- Planning skills of technical projects.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes quickly.
Credentials and Experience:
- College diploma in IT Infrastructure or Networking
- Minimum of 5 years’ industry experience
- Experience with
- Active Directory Support, Microsoft Windows and Windows Server Support, Microsoft Exchange Support
- Advanced Switching/VLAN/Routing/Firewall Support
- Mobile Technologies (Intune, ActiveSync) Support
- Server Hardware Technologies Support
- Data Backup and Recovery Support, Corporate Antivirus Support, VPN Connectivity Support
- Have multiple certifications, high skill level. The following certifications are preferred: MCSE/MCSA/MCITP, CompTIA A+, Network+
- Must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle
Pay: Base + Bonuses